12th DECEMBER 2020
6th DECEMBER 2020
The Baron and Baroness of North Cadbury are also the Lord and Lady of Codiford-Farlegh (Codiford Farleigh) or Lancorla, in the Parish of St Wenn in Cornwall. This manorial Lordship has a long and eventful history; it was in the hands of the King, his noble vassals, the church and at last of one of the wealthiest and prominent Cornish Knights and families in the middle ages.
The manor of Codiford Farleigh was already mentioned over 950 years ago and has been recorded in the Domesday Book. The lordship was owned for centuries by the most influential Lords in Cornwall. These included Brictric, recorded in Domesday Book as first lord in the time of King Edward the Confessor, the Earls of Cornwall held it for King William I himself, the church and finally the manor passed to the prominent Botreaux family. This noble family owned many landholdings in England and also the manor of North Cadbury, which was formerly part of the Barony of North Cadbury. The Lordship of Codiford Farleigh was held by the Botreauxs for over 360 years. These were Knights, High Sheriffs, Members of the parliament, Barons and also Baronesses Botreaux. At the end of the 15th, early 16th century, the Botreaux family died out and their peerage became extinct. As a result, the Lordship of Codiford Farleigh fell apart and disappeared from records.
A very changeable, fascinating and exciting history is connected with this manor and the Lords and Ladies who owned it. It is still part of the history of England, the county of Cornwall and with the Botreauxs to the manor of North Cadbury in Somerset. More about the Lordship of Codiford Farleigh you can read here.
1st DECEMBER 2020
The History of the Advent Calendar
On the first of December, children all around the world will be opening the first door of their Christmas Advent Calendars, eager to see what picture, chocolate, or mini gift is hiding inside. The word “Advent” comes from the Latin phrase “coming toward.” For Christians, the period of Advent marks “coming toward” the most important date in their year, the birth of Christ. The idea of physically marking Advent has its roots in late 19th century Germany, when the Lutherans made chalk marks on doors from December 1st until the 24th.
There are two contenders for the very first Advent Calendars. According to the Landesmuseum in Austria, the first one was produced in Hamburg in 1902 by a protestant bookshop owner. Others claim that the first hand made calendar was made in Germany in the late 19th century for a child named Gerhard Lang.
Lang’s mother stuck 24 tiny sweets to a square of cardboard, for her son to eat over the Advent period. This simple idea stayed with Lang and when, as an adult, he went into partnership with his friend Reichhold, they opened a printing office. In 1908 they produced what is thought to be the first-ever printed Advent Calendar.
This earliest calendar set the mould for those we see today, with small pictures, one marking every day between 1st and 24th December. A few years later, Lang introduced the concept of 24 little doors – giving each new picture an element of surprise.
Lang’s business came to an end in the 1930s, but the idea had taken hold, and others, such as the Sankt Johannis Printing Company, started producing religious Advent Calendars, often with Biblical verses instead of pictures behind the doors.
The First World War bought rationing, and a temporary halt to the manufacture of calendars. In 1946 however, when rationing began to ease after the end of the Second World War, a printer named Richard Sellmer reintroduced the Advent Calendars into the lives of children all over the Western World, and soon they became as much of a Christmas tradition as trees, cards and gifts.
Source: Oxford Open Learning: Kath Bates, December 1, 2013.
1st NOVEMBER 2020
Lady North Cadbury's sewing skills
Now, in this difficult time when corona virus infections are increase and we are in a lockdown and have to stay at home, I have rediscovered my former hobby - sewing. I have sewn this cosmetic bag from a chocolate foil wrapping - without wanting to advertise for a special chocolate company. Unfortunately, you have to eat the chocolate first ;-) By the way, the famous English chocolate company from Birmingham is not related to our barony, as one might deduce from its name, but anyway the chocolate is really delicious.
I wish you well,
18th OCTOBER 2020
Scary Stories - Tales of Ghosts and Spirits
Britain is known for its grand country houses, stately homes and ornate mansions. But with these great and old houses comes plenty of ghost stories. With tales of the spirits of monks returning in stately homes that were once priories, to the ghosts of servants and the past wealthy owners of the properties, there's said to be plenty of paranormal activity at many of these stunning manor houses, castles or places.
Often also seen silent White Ladies or also by example the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall in Norfolk or even eerie noises and voices and unexplainable cool drafts. These are just some of the characters and eerie incidents that haunt the folklore of the British Isles. Almost every historic building has its own house-ghost. Sometimes it is an entire residential community, for example Windsor Castle, houses 25 undead. The ghost of Elizabeth I is also said to walk in Windsor Castle, she has also seen by Queen Elizabeth II herself. According to surveys, at least a third of all British people believe in ghosts, and younger people are more likely to believe in them than older people.
In particular the county of Somerset has a long and dark history, so it is not surprising that there are also many stories about ghosts and spirits.
Dead Woman's Ditch was recently published in ITV's This Morning because the "Woman in White", who apparently haunts Quantock's beauty spot, allegedly tells visitors to "f... off". As the cordoning off rules ease as the threat of a second wave of corona viruses looms, budding ghost hunters with no nervous composition could be eager to search for ghosts throughout the county.
The following are a few creepy and scary stories wealth to tell, from Glastonbury Tor, Shepton Malley Prison to Taunton Castle and Farleigh Hungerford Castle.
Glastonbury is a must-see for tourists and the place for the solstice celebrations and other spiritual gatherings.
Glastonbury Tor is well known for its links to spirituality and folklore, as well as its history and legend, and is actually a perfect place for some off-world sightseeing. Or to listen to.
Not only did the execution of Abbot Richard Whiting take place here in 1549, there is a story of a meeting between a monk named St. Collen and the Lord of the otherworld and King of the Fairy Folk (Gwyn ap Nudd), who used the Gate as a gateway to the dead.
The story goes that the monk, who was very superstitious, threw holy water on the king and banished him and his army.
Locals and visitors alike believe that on some nights you can hear the howling of his ghost dogs who are hunting for souls.
As a historic monument to the town and home to the Taunton Museum, you have probably seen Taunton Castle if you have ever visited it.
It was the home of Anglo-Saxons, was rebuilt as a priory by a bishop, fortified by a chancellor and finally converted into an actual castle in 1138.
Both sides of the English Civil War repaired and used the castle in one form or another before it was partially demolished towards the end and later rebuilt by Judge Jeffreys - a remarkable figure during the reign of King James II. Following the Monmouth rebellion, Jeffreys sentenced 144 followers of Monmouth to be hanged, drawn and quartered in the Great Hall of Taunton Castle in 1685.
Although it is unlikely that you will see any of these 144, a Civil War cavalier was seen in the stairwell, a young woman roaming the building and a lady in grey. However, the most ghostly sightings are those of Judge Jeffreys himself. Apparently he is probably tramping through the corridors to frighten visitors.
Staff have also mentioned the poltergeist activity and the sharp drop in temperature in the Somerset area. They try to avoid entering the room if they can avoid it.
Shepton Mallet Prison
Apart from its history and famous inmates, probably one of the main reasons for visiting Shepton Mallet Prison is the fact that it is exeptionally haunted. Ghost hunters from all over the place regularly come to the prison and often stay overnight to see if they can capture any ghostly activity on film.
It was open from before 1625 until 2013 and served as a penal institution and state prison where criminals were held. Later it served as a military prison, housing soldiers from the British and American armed forces.
Over the years, many hundreds of people have been executed on the grounds, being hanged and sometimes even shot. The bodies of some of them are still buried under the ground itself, so it is no wonder that so many ghostly apparitions have been reported.
The ghosts themselves range from a lady in white on the stairs to an American soldier wandering through the corridors and kitchen area.
Spooky photobombs have been discovered in photographs, and one prison staff member was even burned by an invisible cigarette butt on his hand while giving a guided tour. One of the most spooky ghost encounters has been reported several times by various visitors.
During one of the prison's "overnight nights", a group of guests explored the outdoor courtyard that the prisoners once used for their daily exercises. Concerned for their welfare, they went to fetch a member of the prison staff who did not remember anyone matching their description at the event.
When the group returned, the lady had disappeared and was not seen again for the rest of the night.
Farleigh Hungerford Castle
Another castle on this list is Farleigh Hungerford, and this is not surprising as the history of the castle is quite grim.
In the 15th century two members of the Hungerford family were executed here and the notorious Lady Agnes Hungerford is said to have murdered her husband and burned his body in the castle's bread oven.
It is believed that her aim was to marry the lord of the castle, Sir Edward Hungerford.
Hidden in a crypt under the chapel are eight lead coffins in human form.
The ghost of Lady Agnes Hungerford is still said to return here on occasion, and appear in the vicinity of the chapel, a serenely beautiful shade who flickers briefly in front of astonished witnesses, before fading into nothingness in those twilight moments when day turns into night.
Barrow Gurney Mental Asylum
If the thought of walking through an abandoned mental institution doesn't send shivers down your spine, then some of the reported ghostly activities seen in Barrow Gurney Mental Asylum will certainly send shivers down your spine.
Although the asylum was demolished and replaced by new accommodation in 2017, paranormal activity was previously recorded on film in the run-down building. One man discovered a whole series of eerie messages written on the walls when he visited the abandoned hospital a few years ago. As he ventured out in broad daylight, he spoke of graffiti, broken walls and even a forgotten Ouija board.
Paranormal investigators have also heard the cries of a baby, ominous footsteps and even whispering.
There are many more scary stories of ghosts, spirits and unexplainable occurrences to tell from England and Somerset, many very strange and spooky. Some of these would certainly have been cases for Ed and Lorraine Warren, the famous American paranormal investigators, who also once investigated in England.
Brown Lady of Raynham Hall, Norfolk 1936
23rd JULY 2020
A Cornish style breakfast
At the moment we have a wonderful warm summer with lots of sunshine. Is there nothing better than to start the day with a breakfast consisting of freshly roasted bread, served with butter, very tasty jams and muesli with fruits. A fresh cup of English Breakfast tea or freshly ground coffee all served in a very summery look in blue and white striped Cornishware.
The tableware with the blue and white stripes has been produced by T G Green & Co Ltd. since 1924 and is one of the company’s most popular lines of beautiful ceramics. It reminds of the blue skies and white-crested waves of Cornwall – which is how Cornishware got its name.
That's a good way to start a day, especially in summer.
9th JUNE 2020
The Barony of North Cadbury - one Barony but with different names
The Barony and Manor of North Cadbury can be traced back to the 11th century and was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Cadeberie. It refers to Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury, but in the medieval age the Barony also wore the names of its respective owners. During the centuries that Baronies and Lordships have existed, some Lords have decided to change the name of their Barony, Lordship and Manor. Normally this is to reflect their name, making a personal statement and as well at the Barony of North Cadbury.
The Barony reflects three families that owned the barony and gives the current owner the opportunity to choose the title that appeals to them the most. The first holder was Turstin FitzRolf, a loyal supporter of William the Conqueror at the battle of Hastings. With the creation at 1066 the barony was named the Barony of Turstin FitzRolf or Barony of Cadeberie. In 1088 Turstin seems to have been banished, possibly having opposed King William II of England in his struggle for the English crown with his elder brother Robert Curthose, Duke of Normandy. The barony then changed into the hands of the de Ballon family, a noble family from the ancient French province of Maine. And the next Baron was Wynebald de Ballon, newly arrived with his brother Hamelin de Ballon from France and a close associate of William Rufus or King William II. With him the barony was named the Barony of Wynebald. Of his three children only the daughter Mabilia survived. With her marriage to the Norman nobleman Henry de Newmarch the inheritance (the feudal title and all related properties) and therefore the Barony came into the de Newmarch family. Under the de Newmarch family the ancient baronial seat with all the landholdings became known as the Barony de (of) Newmarch and finally of North Cadbury. The early name designations still exist, are still binding today and can be used optionally. Since its establishment by King William I., the Barony of North Cadbury is one of the oldest feudal Baronies of England, which exists still today and is held by the current, the 6th Baron and Baroness of North Cadbury or also Baron and Baroness de Newmarch.
The current Baron & Baroness
3rd MAY 2020
Spode Blue Italian - Spode's famous blue & white collection to be seen in Lady North Cadbury's china cupboard
Today Lady North Cadbury gives a glimpse into her household china cupboard. One of the Baron and Baroness' passion is the very traditional blue and white English china from the world-famous Spode pottery - namely Spode Blue Italian and Spode Blue Room. This wonderful blue and white ironstone china, with patterns over 200 years old, are often found in great country and period houses.
Spode, the world-famous pottery and iconic British brand based in Stoke-on-Trent was founded by Josiah Spode (1733–1797) in 1770. Josiah Spode I was the first English potter to commercially produce under-glaze blue printed earthenware and be credited with perfecting the formula for fine bone china. One of the most popular patterns is Spode's Blue Italian. First introduced in 1816, by Josiah Spode I's son, Josiah Spode II, the distinctive Blue Italian design was immediately popular and remains a best seller to this day. The pattern was based on a Claude Lorraine Italian rural scene of 1638 and is surrounded by a finely detailed 18th century Imari Oriental border encompassing a scene inspired by the Italian countryside. This beautiful blue and white collection was launched in 1816 and has been in production ever since. This blue printed earthenware is quintessentially English and synonymous with Great British design. In 2016 Spode Blue Italian celebrated its 200th and in 2020 Spode celebrates its 250th anniversary. Spode Blue Italian is recognised as one of the most admired British designs of all time.
Spode Blue Italian advert c.1976 ©The Baron de Newmarch Collection
21st APRIL 2020
Happy Birthday, Your Majesty!
The Queen celebrates her 94th birthday today
PRESS ASSOCIATION / Danny Lawson.
Wishing HM The Queen a very happy Birthday with health, happiness and many more prosperous years to her reign.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Britain's longest reigning Monarch celebrates her 94th birthday today. In her 68-year reign and in this for all very difficult time, the Queen will not celebrate her birthday with a cannon salute, because she did not think the traditional tribute would be appropriate in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. Also the Queen's Birthday Parade "Trooping The Colour" has been canceled this year. ...
Even in this particularly exceptional and difficult situation, she unites and strengthens the country as always. Therefore ...
God Save The Queen!
30th MARCH 2020
Happy Birthday, Your Lordship!
Lord North Cadbury turns 56 today. In this very difficult time, in which almost all contact with other people should be avoided, there will be no big birthday party. As usual, there will be an afternoon tea with cake. Prepared for a very small birthday celebration a sponge cake for a special tea time.
'Business as usual also on his birthday' - His Lordship is busy in his office.
25th MARCH 2020
Marketplace of Bergisch Gladbach, Germany on 24. March 2020
8th MARCH 2020
Balmoral Boots - A Royal Shoe Legend
The Balmoral boot was originally designed for Queen Victoria's consort Prince Albert as a walking boot. Prince Albert was looking for a walking boot that he could wear on his excursions around the Scottish summer residence Balmoral Castle and also promised a stylish appearance at tea time which would look suitably stylish indoors as well. In the 1850's he commissioned the London shoemaker J.S. Hall to design this style of shoes for him. In the course of time, the Balmoral also found favour with higher society and is today revered as a charismatic men's boot. Since they were first seen at Balmoral they began to be called Balmoral boots.
Queen Victoria also took a liking to the style and had several pairs made for herself as she too liked to walk the grounds of Balmoral. With such distinguished wearers, it should come as no surprise that they became extremely popular with the gentry and later the general public alike. However, it is surprising that a boot designed for a country estate became popular as walking boot and later also as a dress boot for frock coats and morning coats. Apart from men, even women adapted Balmoral boots for daywear.
Characteristic for the goodyear welted interpretation of the famous insert boot is the exciting colour-leather contrast. While the lower shaft is made entirely of tan brown calfskin, the tan suede insert on the upper half of the shaft and sometime especially with buttons creates the famous gaiters like these from Jeffery West.
left: Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, 1854
Also quite typical for this type of boot is the closed lacing, which here goes through five pairs of eyelets and three pairs of hooks.
The two-tone Balmoral is an absolute eye-catcher and hardly recommended for the upscale occasion. On the informal parquet floor, however, the laced boot underlines the wearer's sense of style and can be more suited to casual wear or less formal suits.
9th FEBRUARY 2020
The Baron's Study & Baronial Archives
The Lord North Cadbury's office with an antique deed box on his Lordship's desk for storing important documents. Such boxes are found in very many manor houses, country estates, castles and palaces and with them valuable documents are passed on to future generations. Solicitors also use these cases for the safe keeping of important papers, especially deeds and legal papers.
Below a view to the archive boxes with many treasured items like letters, collectable papers, programs of Royal celebrations, antique photographies and also historical documents concerning the barony.
3rd FEBRUARY 2020
English Geography & History Lessons: The County of Somerset
Historic Map H. Moll 1724 © THE BARON de NEWMARCH COLLECTION.
The whole of England is divided into 48 ceremonial counties, which are also known as geographic counties. Many of these counties have their basis in the 39 historic counties whose origins lie in antiquity, although some were established as recently as 1974. The historic seat of Barony of North Cadbury is geographically located in the western county of Somerset. Somerset, historically also Somersetshire, is a county in the southwest of England and the capital is Taunton, formerly it was Somerton. Somerset's name derives from Old English Somersæte, short for Sumortūnsǣte, meaning "the people living at or dependent on Sumortūn (Somerton)".
The Old English name is used in the motto of the county, Sumorsǣte ealle, meaning "all the people of Somerset". The first known use of Somersæte is in the law code of King Ine who was the Saxon King of Wessex from 688 to 726, making Somerset along with Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset one of the oldest extant units of local government in the world.
Somerset borders Gloucestershire to the north-east, Wiltshire to the east, Dorset to the south-east and Devon to the south-west. To the north, the coast of the Bristol Channel forms most of the border. In the county there are two "Cities" (with a cathedral), Bath and Wells, the latter one of the smallest in England. Other important towns are Bridgwater, Glastonbury and Yeovil. Glastonbury is known for its open air rock festival, the Glastonbury Festival.
The landscape is mostly charming and relatively untouched. There are numerous apple plantations, which is why Somerset is nowadays more than any other region associated with the production of a strong cider. Also the world famous Cheddar cheese has its origin in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset, south west England. Near the village of Cheddar is the Cheddar Gorge, the largest gorge in Britain. Cheddar Gorge contains a number of caves, which provided the ideal humidity and steady temperature for maturing the cheese. Cheddar cheese traditionally had to be made within 30 miles (48 km) of Wells Cathedral. Cheeses of this style are now produced beyond the region and in several countries around the world.
Tourist attractions include the coastal towns, Exmoor National Park, the West Somerset Railway (a museum railway) and the Naval Aviation Museum at Yeovilton Base. The region's gardens and parks are part of the European Garden Heritage Network. Many historic buildings are built or clad with the characteristic honey yellow Bath stone.
After the Romans had left Britain, the Anglo-Saxons invaded Somerset and by the year 600 had brought almost all of England under their rule - with the exception of Somerset, which remained in the hands of the native British. In the early 8th century, the Anglo-Saxon King Ine of Wessex was able to annex Somerset to his kingdom. The Saxon Royal Palace in Cheddar was used several times in the 10th century to hold the Witenagemot, a council meeting.
After the Norman conquest of England, the land was divided into 700 fiefdoms, many of which remained in the hands of the crown (e.g. Dunster Castle). Somerset has England's oldest prison, Shepton Mallet Prison, opened in 1610 and is still in use.
During the English Civil War, Somerset was largely on the side of the Roundheads (supporters of the Parliament and opponents of the King). The Monmouth Rebellion of 1685 was decided in Somerset and neighbouring Dorset. The rebels landed at Lyme Regis, marched north, hoping to take Bristol and Bath, but were defeated at the Battle of Sedgemoor near Westonzoyland.
Arthur Wellesley's title of Duke of Wellington is derived from the city of Wellington in Somerset; in his honour an obelisk, called Wellington Monument, was erected on a hill near the city.
The Industrial Revolution heralded the end for most of the home-based production of goods in the Midlands and the northern part of England. However, agricultural production continued to flourish and in 1777 the Bath and West of England Society for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufactures and Commerce was founded with the aim of improving agricultural methods. Coal mining in northern Somerset was one of the most important industries for the county in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Somerset Coalfield reached its peak of production in the 1920s and mining was finally stopped in 1973. With the exception of the elevator wheel outside the Radstock Museum, there are few structural witnesses to coal mining in the area. Further west, iron was mined in the Brendon Hills in the 19th century.
During the First World War, the Somerset Light Infantry suffered losses of 5,000 men, and war memorials were erected in almost all towns and villages of Somerset in their memory and in the memory of other Somerset soldiers. During the Second World War, the county was the base for troops preparing for the invasion of Normandy.
The natural northern border of the county was the river Avon, but it gradually moved southwards due to the expansion of the city of Bristol. In 1974 a large part of northern Somerset was assigned to the county of Avon. After its dissolution in 1996, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset returned to Somerset County for ceremonial reasons, but are independent as Unitary Authorities.
The villages of North and South Cadbury are located in this beautiful countryside of South West England.
Map England and Wales from Barclay's Dictionary 1813 © THE BARON de NEWMARCH COLLECTION.
2nd JANUARY 2020
The Three Magi
On the sixth of January we commemorate the Three Kings who followed the star to Bethlehem, to pay homage to the newborn Jesus Christ in the manger. The biblical Magi also referred to as the Three Wise Men or the Three Kings, were in the Gospel of Matthew and Christian tradition distinguished foreigners who visited Jesus after his birth and bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. They are regular figures in traditional accounts of the nativity celebrations of Christmas and are an important part of Christian tradition.