Barony of    North Cadbury                                                                                                                                    Somerset   ·   England                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Erected by King William I. about AD 1066                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               'Keeping history alive'                                                                                                                                                                                      

    News & Blog

                                                              

                                                                       9th JUNE 2020                                                                      

  The Barony of North Cadbury - one Barony but with different names   


The Barony and Manor of North Cadbury can be traced back to the 11th century and was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Cadeberie. It refers to Cadbury Castle in South Cadbury, but in the medieval age the Barony also wore the names of its respective owners. During the centuries that Baronies and Lordships have existed, some Lords have decided to change the name of their Barony, Lordship and Manor. Normally this is to reflect their name, making a personal statement and as well at the Barony of North Cadbury.

The Barony reflects three families that owned the barony and gives the current owner the opportunity to choose the title that appeals to them the most. The first holder was Turstin FitzRolf, a loyal supporter of William the Conqueror at the battle of Hastings. With the creation at 1066 the Barony was named Cadeberie or even the Barony of Turstin.                                                                                                                                                                               In 1088 Turstin seems to have been banished, possibly having opposed King William II of England in his struggle for the English crown with his elder brother Robert Curthose, Duke of Normandy. The barony then changed into the hands of the de Ballon family, a noble family from the ancient French province of Maine. And the next Baron was Wynebald de Ballon, newly arrived with his brother Hamelin de Ballon from France and a close associate of  William Rufus or King William II. With him the barony was named the Barony of Wynebald. Of his three children only the daughter Mabilia survived. With her marriage to the Norman nobleman Henry de Newmarch the inheritance (the feudal title and all related properties) and therefore the Barony came into the de Newmarch family.                                                                                                                                                                                          Under the de Newmarch family the ancient baronial seat with all the landholdings became known as the Barony de (of) Newmarch and finally of North Cadbury. The early name designations still exist, are still binding today and can be used optionally. Since its establishment by King William I., the Barony of North Cadbury is one of the oldest feudal Baronies of England, which exists still today and is held by the current, the 6th Baron and Baroness of North Cadbury or also Baron and Baroness de Newmarch.  

                                                                                              

                                                                              The current Baron & Baroness                                                                                

 


 3rd MAY 2020 

              Spode Blue Italian - Spode's famous blue & white collection                           to be seen in Lady North Cadbury's china cupboard            


Today Lady North Cadbury gives a glimpse into her household china cupboard. One of the Baron and Baroness' passion is the very traditional blue and white English china from the world-famous Spode pottery - namely Spode Blue Italian and Spode Blue Room. This wonderful blue and white ironstone china, with patterns over 200 years old, are often found in great country and period houses.

Spode, the world-famous pottery and iconic British brand based in Stoke-on-Trent was founded by Josiah Spode (1733–1797) in 1770. Josiah Spode I was the first English potter to commercially produce under-glaze blue printed earthenware and be credited with perfecting the formula for fine bone china.                                                                                                               One of the most popular patterns is Spode's Blue Italian. First introduced in 1816, by Josiah Spode I's son, Josiah Spode II, the distinctive Blue Italian design was immediately popular and remains a best seller to this day.           The pattern was based on a Claude Lorraine Italian rural scene of 1638 and is surrounded by a finely detailed 18th century Imari Oriental border encompassing a scene inspired by the Italian countryside. This beautiful blue and white collection was launched in 1816 and has been in production ever since. This blue printed earthenware is quintessentially English and synonymous with Great British design.                                                                                                                                        In 2016 Spode Blue Italian celebrated its 200th and in 2020 Spode celebrates its 250th anniversary. Spode Blue Italian is recognised as one of the most admired British designs of all time.
 

Spode Blue Italian advert c.1976 ©The Baron de Newmarch Collection

 Spode Blue Italian advert c.1976 ©The Baron de Newmarch Collection  

 


                          21st APRIL 2020                      

  Happy Birthday, Your Majesty! 

                            The Queen celebrates her 94th birthday today

                                              PRESS ASSOCIATION / Danny Lawson.  

   

          Wishing HM The Queen a very happy Birthday with health,             happiness and many more prosperous years to her reign.   


Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Britain's longest reigning Monarch celebrates her 94th birthday today. In her 68-year reign and in this for all very difficult time, the Queen will not celebrate her birthday with a cannon salute, because she did not think the traditional tribute would be appropriate in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. Also the Queen's Birthday Parade "Trooping The Colour" has been canceled this year. ...

Even in this particularly exceptional and difficult situation, she unites and strengthens the country as always. Therefore ...

 God Save The Queen!

      


                                                                   30th MARCH 2020                                                                     

                                       Happy Birthday, Your Lordship!                                       


Lord North Cadbury turns 56 today. In this very difficult time, in which almost all contact with other people should be avoided, there will be no big birthday party. As usual, there will be an afternoon tea with cake. Prepared for a very small birthday celebration a sponge cake for a special tea time.



                                 

                      'Business as usual also on his birthday' - His Lordship is busy in his office.                         




                                                                     25th MARCH 2020              
        



                                  Marketplace of Bergisch Gladbach, Germany on 24. March 2020                                    


 



                                                                         8th MARCH 2020              

                                  Balmoral Boots  -  A Royal Shoe Legend


The Balmoral boot was originally designed for Queen Victoria's consort Prince Albert as a walking boot. Prince Albert was looking for a walking boot that he could wear on his excursions around the Scottish summer residence Balmoral Castle and also promised a stylish appearance at tea time which would look suitably stylish indoors as well. In the 1850's he commissioned the London shoemaker J.S. Hall to design this style of shoes for him. In the course of time, the Balmoral also found favour with higher society and is today revered as a charismatic men's boot. Since they were first seen at Balmoral they began to be called Balmoral boots.                                                                                                                                                                                     

Queen Victoria also took a liking to the style and had several pairs made for herself as she too liked to walk the grounds of Balmoral. With such distinguished wearers, it should come as no surprise that they became extremely popular with the gentry and later the general public alike.                                                                                                However, it is surprising that a boot designed for a country estate became popular as walking boot and later also as a dress boot for frock coats and morning coats. Apart from men, even women adapted Balmoral boots for daywear.

Characteristic for the goodyear welted interpretation of the famous insert boot is the exciting colour-leather contrast. While the lower shaft is made entirely of dark brown calfskin, the tan suede insert on the upper half of the shaft creates the famous gaiters effect.      

   

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, 1854

Quite typical for this type of boot is the closed lacing, which here goes through five pairs of eyelets and three pairs of hooks.
The two-tone Balmoral is an absolute eye-catcher and hardly recommended for the upscale occasion. On the informal parquet floor, however, the laced boot underlines the wearer's sense of style and can be combine


 



                                                                     9th FEBRUARY 2020           

                                    The Baron's Study & Baronial Archives

 

The Lord North Cadbury's office with an antique deed box on his Lordship's desk for storing important documents. Such boxes are found in very many manor houses, country estates, castles and palaces and with them valuable documents are passed on to future generations. Solicitors also use these cases for the safe keeping of important papers, especially deeds and legal papers.

Below a view to the archive boxes with many treasured items like letters, collectable papers, programs of Royal celebrations, antique photographies and also historical documents concerning the barony.





                                                                      3rd FEBRUARY 2020         

            English Geography & History Lessons: The County of Somerset  

 Historic Map H. Moll 1724 © THE BARON de NEWMARCH COLLECTION.                  

The whole of England is divided into 48 ceremonial counties, which are also known as geographic counties. Many of these counties have their basis in the 39 historic counties whose origins lie in antiquity, although some were established as recently as 1974.                                                                          The historic seat of Barony of North Cadbury is geographically located in the western county of Somerset. Somerset, historically also Somersetshire, is a county in the southwest of England and the capital is Taunton, formerly it was Somerton. Somerset's name derives from Old English Somersæte, short for Sumortūnsǣte, meaning "the people living at or dependent on Sumortūn (Somerton)".

The Old English name is used in the motto of the county, Sumorsǣte ealle, meaning "all the people of Somerset". The first known use of Somersæte is in the law code of King Ine who was the Saxon King of Wessex from 688 to 726, making Somerset along with Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset one of the oldest extant units of local government in the world.

Somerset borders Gloucestershire to the north-east, Wiltshire to the east, Dorset to the south-east and Devon to the south-west. To the north, the coast of the Bristol Channel forms most of the border. In the county there are two "Cities" (with a cathedral), Bath and Wells, the latter one of the smallest in England. Other important towns are Bridgwater, Glastonbury and Yeovil. Glastonbury is known for its open air rock festival, the Glastonbury Festival.

The landscape is mostly charming and relatively untouched. There are numerous apple plantations, which is why Somerset is nowadays more than any other region associated with the production of a strong cider. Also the world famous Cheddar cheese has its origin in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset, south west England. Near the village of Cheddar is the Cheddar Gorge, the largest gorge in Britain. Cheddar Gorge contains a number of caves, which provided the ideal humidity and steady temperature for maturing the cheese. Cheddar cheese traditionally had to be made within 30 miles (48 km) of Wells Cathedral. Cheeses of this style are now produced beyond the region and in several countries around the world.
                                                                                         

Tourist attractions include the coastal towns, Exmoor National Park, the West Somerset Railway (a museum railway) and the Naval Aviation Museum at Yeovilton Base. The region's gardens and parks are part of the European Garden Heritage Network. Many historic buildings are built or clad with the characteristic honey yellow Bath stone.

After the Romans had left Britain, the Anglo-Saxons invaded Somerset and by the year 600 had brought almost all of England under their rule - with the exception of Somerset, which remained in the hands of the native British. In the early 8th century, the Anglo-Saxon King Ine of Wessex was able to annex Somerset to his kingdom. The Saxon Royal Palace in Cheddar was used several times in the 10th century to hold the Witenagemot, a council meeting.
After the Norman conquest of England, the land was divided into 700 fiefdoms, many of which remained in the hands of the crown (e.g. Dunster Castle). Somerset has England's oldest prison, Shepton Mallet Prison, opened in 1610 and is still in use.

During the English Civil War, Somerset was largely on the side of the Roundheads (supporters of the Parliament and opponents of the King). The Monmouth Rebellion of 1685 was decided in Somerset and neighbouring Dorset. The rebels landed at Lyme Regis, marched north, hoping to take Bristol and Bath, but were defeated at the Battle of Sedgemoor near Westonzoyland.

Arthur Wellesley's title of Duke of Wellington is derived from the city of Wellington in Somerset; in his honour an obelisk, called Wellington Monument, was erected on a hill near the city.

The Industrial Revolution heralded the end for most of the home-based production of goods in the Midlands and the northern part of England. However, agricultural production continued to flourish and in 1777 the Bath and West of England Society for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufactures and Commerce was founded with the aim of improving agricultural methods. Coal mining in northern Somerset was one of the most important industries for the county in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Somerset Coalfield reached its peak of production in the 1920s and mining was finally stopped in 1973. With the exception of the elevator wheel outside the Radstock Museum, there are few structural witnesses to coal mining in the area. Further west, iron was mined in the Brendon Hills in the 19th century.

During the First World War, the Somerset Light Infantry suffered losses of 5,000 men, and war memorials were erected in almost all towns and villages of Somerset in their memory and in the memory of other Somerset soldiers. During the Second World War, the county was the base for troops preparing for the invasion of Normandy.

The natural northern border of the county was the river Avon, but it gradually moved southwards due to the expansion of the city of Bristol. In 1974 a large part of northern Somerset was assigned to the county of Avon. After its dissolution in 1996, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset returned to Somerset County for ceremonial reasons, but are independent as Unitary Authorities.

The villages of North and South Cadbury are located in this beautiful countryside of South West England.

Map England and Wales from Barclay's Dictionary 1813 © THE BARON de NEWMARCH COLLECTION. 




                                                                       2nd JANUARY 2020         

                                                         The Three Magi   

                                                                

On the sixth of January we commemorate the Three Kings who followed the star to Bethlehem, to pay homage to the newborn Jesus Christ in the manger. The biblical Magi also referred to as the Three Wise Men or the Three Kings, were in the Gospel of Matthew and Christian tradition distinguished foreigners who visited Jesus after his birth and bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. They are regular figures in traditional accounts of the nativity celebrations of Christmas and are an important part of Christian tradition.


Cologne Cathedral, Germany - last resting place of the Magi
Only Matthew one of the four canonical gospels mentioned the Magi. He reports that they came from the east to adore Jesus Christ, the King of the Jews. The New Testament does not give the names of the Magi. However, traditions and legends identify a variety of different names for them. In the Western Christian church, they have all been regarded as saints and are commonly known as: Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar. The Encyclopædia Britannica states: "according to Western church tradition, Balthasar is often represented as a king of Arabia, Melchior as a king of Persia, and Gaspar as a king of India."                                                                        

The Shrine of the Three Kings, Cologne Cathedral
Since 23 July 1164, the relics have been kept in Cologne Cathedral, in the shrine of the Three Kings, which was built around 1200, and where they are adored to this day. The golden Shrine of the Three Kings, according to tradition, contains the bones of the Three Wise Men. Reputedly they were first discovered by Saint Helena on her famous pilgrimage to Palestine and the Holy Lands. She took the remains to the church of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. They were later moved to Milano, before being sent to their current resting place by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I in 1164.